CodeIgniter is a PHP-based MVC (Model-View-Controller) framework,which can be used to build web applications using PHP.It is an Open Source framework.
CodeIgniter uses the Model-View-Controller approach, which allows great separation between logic and presentation.
CodeIgniter is extremely Light Weight, does not force any convention.
The first public version of CodeIgniter was released by EllisLab on February 28, 2006.
CodeIgniter is open source software, licensed under MIT License and its source code is maintained at GitHub.
Some of the important features of CodeIgniter are listed below −
- Model-View-Controller Based System
- Extremely Light Weight
- Full Featured database classes with support for several platforms.
- Query Builder Database Support
- Form and Data Validation
- Security and XSS Filtering
- Session Management
- Email Sending Class. Supports Attachments, HTML/Text email, multiple protocols (sendmail, SMTP, and Mail) and more.
- Image Manipulation Library (cropping, resizing, rotating, etc.).Supports GD, ImageMagick, and NetPBM
- File Uploading Class
- FTP Class
- Data Encryption
- Full Page Caching
- Error Logging
- Application Profiling
- Calendaring Class
- User Agent Class
- Zip Encoding Class
- Template Engine Class
- Trackback Class
- XML-RPC Library
- Unit Testing Class
- Search-engine Friendly URLs
- Flexible URI Routing
- Support for Hooks and Class Extensions
- Large library of "helper" functions